Sunday, October 25, 2009

PM thanks well-behaved reds

25/10/2009
Source: Bangkokpost

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Sunday thanked the anti-government protesters of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) for not disrupting the 15th Asean Summit this weekend.

"Foreign leaders did not ask me about the political situation in Thailand, but instead they gave me support," Mr Abhisit said on the last day of the summit.

On the deployment of 18,000 police and army officers to maintain order during the event, the premier said it was a normal procedure since other countries would also use similar number of security personnel.

If there was no disruption at the Asean Summit in Pattaya in April the government would not carry out very stringent measures now," he said.

In April, red-shirt protesters stormed into the meeting venue of the Asean Summit, forcing the government to abruptly postpone the event."I'm not afraid of death, but I'm more worried about the country's image.

I would like to thank the red-shirts for not causing turbulence during this summit," Mr Abhisit said.

Asked about his government's future, the prime minister said he would be ready even if a general election will be held the next day.

The next election result would be a close one, he reckoned."I'm ready to move on and I'm also ready for a House dissolution. But I'm not prepared for another coup," the premier said.

No comments: